Learn the Tunisian Simple Stitch in Back Loop (TSSBL) and Tunisian Drop Stitch with this advanced beginner project – a lacey cowl perfect for adorning any outfit in any season, especially spring and summer. See more pictures at the end.
You can make one in about an hour or two depending on yarn weight and size you make.
You can make this as a small cowl, a large loose cowl or even double the size to make an infinity scarf!
With the “Triangle” element in this pattern, the cowl is wider at the bottom circumference than the top.
A cool thing about this cowl is that it is reversible. One side has the traditional Tunisian crochet look and the other side has a more purled look like knitting. (see pictures below)
For this project, if you are using a worsted weight yarn or lighter, you won’t need any new equipment needed!! Just a regular crochet hook.
This little project only requires
- a REGULAR crochet hook + rubber band
- Yarn (cotton if you have it – but any kind is fine)
If you are using a thicker yarn, a Tunisian crochet hook would work best. See below for recommendations.
- Worsted weight #4 cotton yarn. I used “Ferris Wheel” by Lion Brand. “Roll with It Melange” by Red Heart is an almost identical type of yarn. As is Millefiori yarn by Berroco. **
- The rainbow version used “Paint Brush” by Stitch Studio which is discontinued. A good substitute would be any tape style yarn with color changes or solid color such as “Rewind” by Lion Brand or “Lillia Yarn” by Willow Yarns or “Cottonation” by Plymouth Yarns. **
- Or any yarn of your choice!
- Other Yarns that would be good: “Shawl in a Ball” by Lion Brand **
- REGULAR crochet hook. I used 8.00 mm. Use a size a 2-3 sizes up than what the yarn calls for.
- Or Tunisian Hook 8.00mm. I like the Denise Tunisian crochet hook sets. **
- Scissors **
- Yarn needle **
- Measuring tape **
**affiliate links pay me a small commission if you purchase. Does not affect the price you pay.
Adventurous Beginner. Head over to my beginner videos and patterns if you want to quickly learn Tunisian before starting this project. Both are free patterns with free video tutorials.
This is a “Pay What You Want” pattern. So when you go to get it on Ravelry you may pay what you feel it is worth.
The pattern is priced at $5, but you may pay any amount even down to free. I give it freely with an open heart and also appreciate greatly each payment towards my design work.
Here are the coupon codes. Each one will give you the dollar amount off stated in the code name.
Or click the “Add to cart” to use one of these coupon codes:
1OFF (you pay $4)
2OFF (you pay $3)
3OFF (you pay $2)
4OFF (you pay $1)
5OFF (you pay zero)
Please let me know your thoughts on this pricing method. Thank you.
This pattern includes written instructions as well as a video tutorial. Perfect for beginners to Tunisian.
Want to learn more Tunisian? Check out my Online Course!
If you’d like to learn more Tunisian Crochet and learn how to make a beautiful shawl plus two other cool projects, check out my Online Tunisian Crochet Course.
Beginner Friendly course! Only $12 for the whole course plus 3 patterns and styling guide and tutorial.
Tunisian Crochet Hook Recommendations
Straight Hook set
Small adjustable set
Large adjustable set *This one I recommend the highest as it will cover all your needs!
Support My Free Patterns
If you like this pattern, perhaps you might consider “buying me a coffee.” Thank you!
You can also support my work by sharing your finished garment on social media with the hashtag:
Or Sharing this pattern on Pinterest, Facebook or your Fav social media.
Your finished mitts pictures on social media with #waterfallcowl
Thank you for visiting!
Please be sure to subscribe here at my blog to be informed of upcoming patterns!!