Scroll down for the link.
Did you subscribe to my YouTube Channel Yet?
Hi yarn friend! Quick suggestion.
If you haven’t already, take 10 seconds to subscribe to my YouTube channel by clicking here?
- Click the Subscribe Button .
- CLICK the NOTIFY BELL next to it. That’s it!
- Now you’ll get Every Video Pattern Alert! Awesome!
Introducing the “Tunisian Tiles Square”
This is the second square in the “Tunisian Squares Series” where I will bring you a new Tunisian crochet colorwork stitch pattern. Each of these squares will be taught as 6” x 6” (15cm x 15cm) square in the pattern and tutorial, but they can be used to make a fabric for any type of project you may desire.
In the end, I will have a pattern that brings them all together for a blanket. There will be other modular project ideas there as well. Check the series page for updates!
This Tunisian Waves stitch pattern & Video Tutorial is one of my all-time favorites. It would be great in a scarf, wrap, cowl, sweater and so many other project ideas. It is a 2 color stitch pattern, however you could use more than that. Let me know how you use it!
This is the 36th project in the “Crochet Magical Mystery Tour” which is a yearlong adventure in crochet where you will get:
- A Free Pattern and Tutorial each week featuring a new stitches and techniques – Plus More!
Join TODAY for free: https://www.lightandjoydesigns.com/magical-mystery-tour/
Also Join at YouTube by subscribing: http://www.youtube.com/c/LightandJoyDesigns
Can’t wait to see your pictures! #INSTAGRAMHASHTAG
The free instructions are below. PDF VERSION FREE FOR 1ST WEEK.
https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/tunisian-fancy-lace-squareIf you would like the convenience of an Ad-Free, Printable, PDF Version of this Pattern that includes pattern charts you can purchase that through one of the links below for $2.25.
A PDF version gives you:
- More READER FRIENDLY formatting of the text for ease of understanding
- Additional CHARTS for clearer understanding
- SAVE it to your computer, phone or tablet
- PRINT it EASILY without ads
- SAVE it to your RAVELRY LIBRARY to find it again easily
Link to the Written Pattern on Etsy. COMING SOON
Link to the Written Pattern on LoveCrochet.com. COMING SOON
You will need 2 worsted weight (#4) cotton yarns. I used Lily’s Sugar ‘n Cream in White and Country Stripes. Other options listed below. This is a 2 color pattern, but you could use more colors. If you plan to make the blanket, choose some other complimentary colors ahead of time for the future squares that may have 3 colors.
You can always make this in any yarn you like. To make this in another yarn, you will need to establish your gauge with a swatch and you may need to change your stich count depending on what size you want your square to be. All the squares in this series and the projects that stem from them will be assuming 6” squares. You can always work with different size squares and still do the Tunisian Squares Series projects, but you’ll just have to account for the different measurements.
You don’t need a Tunisian crochet hook for this project. You can actually use a regular crochet hook with a rubber band on the end. It just needs to be a straight hook with no handle. (See video demo.) So I’ve listed different Tunisian hooks and also regular crochet hooks that you can use.
Yarn options **
- Lily’s Sugar ‘n Cream yarn **
- Red Heart Scrubby Smoothie yarn **
- Bernat Handicrafters yarn **
- Knit Picks Dishie Worsted Weight **
- Hobbii Rainbow Cotton 8/8 yarn
- Tunisian or Crochet hook – 6.0mm:
- Scissors **
- Yarn needle I used: Susan Bates Finishing Needles (Easiest to use) **
- Measuring tape **
** Affiliate links provide me with a small commission if you purchase, with no additional cost to you. Thank you for your support.
Easy. Adventurous beginners can try this pattern while following along with the video tutorial.
Dimensions & Gauge
This square measures approximately 6” x 6” (15cm x 15cm).
There are 15 Stitches and 13 Rows in 4 inches.
Stiches Used and Abbreviations
YO = Yarn Over
Sl St = Slip Stitch
Sk = Skip
St(s) = Stitch(es)
NRP = Normal Reverse Pass
TSS = Tunisian Simple Stitch
TESS = Tunisian Extended Simple Stitch
TDC = Tunisian Double Crochet
2TDC in 2TSS = 2 Tunisian Double Crochet in 2 Tunisian Simple Stitches
Special Stitches: See the video tutorial for demonstration of all stitches.
TESS: YO, insert hook into vertical loop 1 row below the next stitch, YO, pull up a loop, YO, pull through 2 loops.
TDC: YO, insert hook into the next 2 TSS, YO pull up a loop, YO, pull through 2 loops
2TDC in 2TSS: *(YO, insert hook into the next 2 TSS, YO pull up a loop, YO, pull through 2 loops)* Repeat * to * 1 more time.
Return Pass: YO, pull thru 1 loop, *(YO, pull thru 2 loops)* Repeat * to * to end.
- ALWAYS make a small swatch to find your gauge and to ensure that you like the colors and texture of your chosen yarns. You can size your hook up or down to attain gauge.
- Please refer to the video tutorial for step by step demonstration and how to change colors.
- Each row in Tunisian crochet has 2 passes. Forward pass and Return pass.
- Pattern is a multiple of 2 stitches and 2 Row repeat of Rows 2-3. See charts below.
- All TDS sts are as if to TSS, meaning they are worked into the front vertical bar.
- First loop on your hook is considered your first stitch. Always start stitch pattern in 2nd vertical bar.
- To work with more colors, use them in even rows.
- Color changes occur at the left hand side of the work before the return pass.
TUNISIAN FANCY SQUARE
BEGIN: (Color A) Chain 22
R1 – Forward Pass – (Color A) Pull up a loop in the back bump of the 2nd chain from the hook, and each chain to the end. (don’t turn work)
R1 – Return Pass – (Color B) YO, pull thru 1 loop, *(YO, pull thru 2 loops)* Repeat * to * until 1 loop left on hook.
R2 – Forward Pass – (Color B) Starting in 2nd and 3rd st together: *(2TDS in 2 TSS)*
Repeat * to * to the end. (don’t turn work)
R2 – Return Pass – (Color A) YO, pull thru 1 loop, *(YO, pull thru 2 loops)* Repeat * to * until 1 loop left on hook.
R3 – Forward Pass – (Color A) Starting in 2nd vertical bar TSS in each stitch to the end. (don’t turn work)
R3 – Return Pass – (Color B) YO, pull thru 1 loop, *(YO, pull thru 2 loops)* Repeat * to * until 1 loop left on hook.
R4 – 12 Repeat Rows 2-3. Finish on a R2 or either row to establish size you prefer.
Bind Off – use Slip Stitch bind off: Work each stitch as if to TSS, but slip stitch it through the loop on your hook after each stitch.
This pattern is fully demonstrated in the VIDEO TUTORIAL HERE.
Finishing: Sew in ends. Enjoy your Tunisian Fancy Lace Square.
Be sure to check out the entire series to learn all the other Tunisian crochet squares, the project ideas, joining methods and more. Click here to learn more.
Looking for a Way to Say Thanks?
You can support my free work with a donation of any amount either via PayPal or via buying me “Ko-Fi.” All donations are greatly appreciated! Thank you!Via PayPal
Watch how to make this Tunisian Crochet Waves Square on YouTube. VIDEO LINK HERE
This is the 37th project in the “Crochet Magical Mystery Tour” which is a yearlong adventure in crochet where you will get:
- A Free Pattern and Tutorial each week featuring new stitches and techniques.
- Opportunity to enter Giveaways when you share your finished pictures online.
- Recognition on my website, Instagram and Facebook (if you choose).
Crochet Magical Mystery Tour Alerts
Sign up for free alerts of new patterns & tutorials weekly.
Also Join at YouTube by subscribing: http://www.youtube.com/c/LightandJoyDesigns
Pin This to Your Pinterest Boards
Please Support My Free Work
By subscribing to my YouTube channel (Click here), this will help me to keep offering free patterns, tutorials and more to YOU! Be the first to know when new Pattern Tutorials are available by clicking the Notify Bell next to the Subscribe button. Thank you so much!!
If you liked this pattern, please share this far and wide with your friends! I’d love to have as many people as possible join our Crochet Magical Mystery Tour. If you haven’t already, check it out and sign up for the weekly alert of each free pattern. This is a yearlong adventure with a free pattern and new stitches each week. Free to Join Anytime!
Let me know your thoughts!
Earn a Free Pattern
- Share your pics of this pattern on Ravelry, Instagram or Facebook.
- Use the hashtag #LIGHTANDJOYDESIGNS or #TunisianSquares or #TunisianCrochetSquares and tag me @agentsully.
- Contact me to let me know which PDF pattern you would like.
You can contact me in many ways. See links below! Or leave a comment here. Thx!
My Free VIP Newsletter: https://www.lightandjoydesigns.com/subscribe-2/
My Designs on Ravelry: https://www.ravelry.com/designers/light-and-joy-designs
YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/c/LightandJoyDesigns
Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/LETSHAVEFUNCROCHET
Etsy Shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/LightandJoyDesigns